- Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
Deepthi C. Bandara (PhD) is a senior professor at the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. An Agricultural Biologist by discipline, in addition to her teaching and research, she has been a champion on teaching methodology, curriculum development, quality assurance and staff development, contributing immensely to the enhancement of Higher Education in Sri Lanka. She has been a consultant on World Bank assisted projects on higher education in Sri Lanka in the past 15 years working on innovations in teaching, learning and assessment, and fostering University- Industry partnerships for commercializing and dissemination of research. Till end of 2018, she served as the Director of the Quality Assurance Council of the University Grants Commission in Sri Lanka providing leadership and guidance to quality assurance activities of the State Universities. Prof Bandara started her career as a young university academic in 1978 at the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka which she still serves in the capacity of a senior professor. She proceeded to the Pennsylvania State University, USA in 1980 to pursue her post graduate studies and read for a MS and PhD in Horticulture at the College of Agriculture at Penn State. Back in Sri Lanka in 1986 she started teaching and research in the discipline of Plant Physiology and related subjects and have guided and shared her knowledge and experience with young undergraduates for over 35 years. She also secured several research grants and trained a significant number of Master and Doctoral students during her career at the University of Peradeniya. In 1990 she was selected for further training in teaching methodology at a workshop conducted and sponsored by the British Overseas Development Authority and proceeded to UK. Having received this training her career took a new and additional dimension. She was the founder coordinator of the Teaching Methodology Unit of the Faculty of Agriculture in 1991, which revolutionized and initiated a culture for teacher training at Universities. In 2000, she was appointed as the founder Director of the Staff Development Centre of the University of Peradeniya, a position she held for 12 years before proceeding to USA on sabbatical leave. The Staff Development Center had many accolades under her leadership and university teachers from all Universities in Sri Lanka participated in the trainings provided by the Centre. She served as a resource person in all training workshops and programs. In 2011 she took up a position in the World Bank sponsored project “Higher Education for the 21st Century” of the Ministry of Higher Education where she provided leadership for designing and implementing the “Quality and Innovation” grants. She also served as the Deputy Director of the project in its final stages. She was back at Peradeniya for a couple of years before proceeding to USA on sabbatical in 2015 and in 2016 took up the position as the Director of the Qu
1986 - Ph.D. The Pennsylvania State University, USA
1983 - M.S. The Pennsylvania State University, USA
1978 - B.Sc (Agriculture), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
2019 March – 2022 March
Board Director – Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN)
2019 February to 2019 November
Chairperson of the Advisory Committee to Develop Minimum Standards for Non- State Higher Education Institutes of Sri Lanka- - appointed by the Secretary/Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka
2019 March to present
Member of Team to Review the Sri Lanka Qualification Framework Implementation –- appointed by the Project Director/AHEAD Program of the Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka
2018 December 2019 May
Consultant to Quality Assurance Council, University Grants Commission, Sri Lanka
2016 January – 2018 November
Director – Quality Assurance Council of the University Grants Commission,
2015 October – 2016 June
Consultant and Deputy Director to the World Bank project on “Higher Education for the 21st Century”, Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka
2013 May – 2015 October
Visiting scholar at the California State University, Fresno, USA
2011 October – 2013 October
Consultant to the World Bank project on “Higher Education for the 21st Century”, Ministry of Higher Education, Sri Lanka
1999 April – 2011 Sep
Director- Staff Development Centre, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
2007 Feb – 2007 July
Visiting Professor at the Department of Curriculum and Instruction and Department of Plant Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaigne, USA
1993 June - 1994 April
Research fellow at the Faculty of Applied Biological Sciences, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
- Board Director - Asia Pacifiic Quality Network 2019-2022
- Research Publications in Refereed Journals
1. HMDAK Herath, DC Bandara, PA Weerasinghe, MCM Iqbal, HCD Wijayawardhana. 2014. Effect of Cadmium on growth parameters and plant accumulation in different rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties in Sri Lanka. Trop Agric Res 25(4) 532-542.
2. Herath, H.M.I., and Bandara, D.C., 2011. Anther culture performance in selected high yielding Indica (of Sri Lanka) and Japonica rice varieties and their inter-subspecific hybrids. J Nat Sci F SL 39 (2): 149-154.
3. Herath, H.M.I., Bandara, D.C., Samarajeewa, P.K. and Wijesundara, D.S.A., 2009. The Effect of low temperature pre-treatment on anther culture in selected Indica, Japonica rice varieties and their inter sub-specific hybrids. Cey. J. Sci. (Bio Sci.) 38 (1): 11-16.
4. Herath, H. M.I., Bandara, D.C., Samarajeewa, P.K. and Wijesundara, D.S.A. 2008. The effect of plant growth regulators on anther culture response and plant regeneration in selected Sri Lankan Indica rice varieties, Japonica varieties and their inter sub-specific hybrids. Trop. Agric. Res. 20: 243-250.
5. Padmahtilake, K. R. E., Wickramaarachchi, V.N., Anver, M.A.M.S. and Bandara, D.C. 2007. Biological and economic feasibility of growing mint (Menthasylvestris L.) mustard (Brassica intergrifolia L. )asamodagam (TrachyspermuminvolucratumL.) under hydroponics. Trop. Agric. Res. 19: 193-201.
6. Wijesekera, T.P., Iqbal, M.C.M. and Bandara, D.C. 2007. Plant Regeneration in vitro by organogenesis on callus induced from mature embryos of three rice varieties (Oryza sativa L. ssp. Indica). Trop. Agric. Res. 19: 25-35.
7. Safeena, M.I.S. andBandara, D.C. 2006. Antioxidant response of rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties to salt stress at different growth stages. Trop Agric. Res 18:
8. Anver, M.A.M.S., Bandara, D.C., Padmatilake, K.R.E. 2005. Comparison of the carbon partitioning and photosynthetic efficiency of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) in hydroponics and soil. Trop Agric. Res 17:
9. Malathy, P., Ariyaratne, D., Nugaliyadde, M.M., Bandara, D.C. 2005. Variability in physiological, morphological and agronomic characteristics of different propagule types of potato. Annals of the Department of Agriculture 7: 165-174.
10. Wijesekara, A.H.S., Bandara, D.C. and Ranamukaarachchi, S.L. 2004. Multiplication of Crossandra (Crossandra unduleafolia var “Danica”) by in vitro shoot tip culture. Asia Pacific Journal of Rural Development Vol XIV No. 1 56-67.
11. Illangakoon, T.K., Bandara, D.C. and Fonseka H. (2004). Evaluation of physio agronomic and chemical traits in relation to productivity of eggplant (Solanum melangena L.) Trop. Agric. Res. 16: 14—24.
12. Hewawasam, W.D.C.J, Bandara, D.C. and Abeyrathne, W.M. (2004). New phenotypes of Crossandra infundibuliformis var. Danica through in-vitro culture and induced mutations. Trop Agric. Res.16: 253-270.
13. H.M.I. Herath, Bandara, D.C. and Abeysinghe Banda, D.M.G. (2003). Ef
BOOK CHAPTERS, BOOKS & MONOGRAPHS
Publications as Books
- Kurt Larsen, Deepthi C. Bandara, Mohamed Esham , Ranmini Unantenne. 2016. Promoting University-Industry Collaboration in Sri Lanka: Status, Case Studies, and Policy Options (Directions in Development)-World Bank Group
- Bandara, Deepthi C and Gayani Gammulla – (2006) An Introduction to Bio sensing for Bio safety
- Bandara, Deepthi C. (2002) - Hydroponics (in Sinhala)
Commissioned by the University Grants Commission, Sponsored by the World Bank Project on “Higher Education for the 21st Century”
- Bandara, Deepthi C. (2012) – “Induction Program for Academic Staff of Sri Lankan Universities”
- Hemachandra, Gamindu A. and Bandara, Deepthi C. (2012) – “ICT in Higher Education for teachers of Sri Lankan Universities “
- Bandara, Deepthi C. and Ponnamperuma, Gominda (2012) – “Curriculum Development for Undergraduate Study Programs”
- Bandara, Deepthi C. and Wickramasooriya, Heshan (2012) – “Lesson Planning and Instructional Teaching Methods for Undergraduate Teaching”
Research Published in Abstract Form and Presented at Conferences
- DC Bandara and DV Jayatilake. 2015. An evaluation of the effectiveness of Outcome Based Education and Student-Centered Learning in undergraduate education. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. 19: 70
- TNK Amarakoon, DC Bandara and HMI Herath. 2015. Effects of organic additives on the callus initiation of Anthurium varieties: Anthurium andreanum, Anthurium andreanum (Lady Jane) and Anthurium hookeri. 2015. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. 19:379
- S. Sugatha, DC Bandara and HMI Herath. 2015. Effectiveness of organic additives (Potato, Watermelon and Avocardo) in Gerbera tissue culture medium. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. 19: 383
- PA Weerasinghe, DAK Herath, D. Wijayawardhana, DC Bandara. 2014. Cadmium availability and role of Zinc in Cadmium tolerance of rice (Oryza sativa L.) Proceedings of the 2nd International Research Symposium, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka. IRSYRU 43.
- Ariyaratne, A.R., Alahakoon, P.M.K., and Bandara, D.C. 2009. eLearning at the University of Peradeniya: A needs assessment. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Sri Lanka Vol 14, 426-428.
- Gunatilaka, D.H.N.H., Bandara, D.C. and Fernando, K. 2009. Determination of the genetic diversity of selected mangrove species using randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD). Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Sri Lanka Vol 14, 201-203.
- Weerasooiya, W.W.R.W.M.D.K. and Bandara, D.C. 2008. Morphological and physiological adaptations of selected mangroves for alleviating post-tsunami effects. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. Vol 13, 12-14.
- Ranasinghe, A.M., Hewawasam, W.D.C.J., Bandara, D.C. and Abeyratne, W.M. 2007. Effect of sodium azide on in vitro cultured Crossandra infundibuliformis var. Danica. Bio Asia 2007, Book of Abstracts.
- Hanee, J.A.J. and Bandara, D.C. 2007. Effective teaching strategies for teaching science in lower secondary classes: A study from the Central Province. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions. Vol 12, Part I, p 35.
- Yaparatna ,Y.M.C. D. and Bandara, D.C.. 2007 The effect of student- centered learning and criterion-based assessment on student performance: A study in Kandy and Matale districts. Proceedings of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions Vol 12, Part I, p 37
- Safeena, M.I.S. and Bandara, D.C. 2006. Antioxidant defences during salt stress in leaves of ri