Dr KS Hemachandra was graduated with BSc Agriculture, in 1989, specializing in Agricultural Entomology in Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya. He joined the Faculty of Agriculture as an Assistant Lecturer in 1990. During 1992-94, he studied in Wye college, University of London for MPhil where he carried out research on biological control of insect pests, and the thesis research topic was "Development, reproduction and feeding behaviour of Delphastus pusillus, a Coccinellid predator of Glasshouse whitefly, Trialeurodes vaporariorum". During 2000-2004, he studied for his PhD in University of Manitoba, Canada where he involved in biological control of insect pests. The thesis research was on "Parasitoids of Delia radicum (Diptera, Anthomyiidae): Assessment of potential agents for classical biological control". During this study, he visited the crop fields in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and in Alberta in Canada and in Germany and Switzerland for sampling of insects.
- Ph.D., University of Manitoba, Canada 2004; Biological control of Insect Pests
- M.Phil., University of London, UK Biological control of insect pests
- B.Sc (Agriculture) Special, University of Peradeniya, 1987
- Served as the Head in the Department of Agricultural Biology, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya for a period of three years (2010-2012) and (2018 Sep. to 2020 Oct.)
- Serving as the Secretary, Board of Study in Plant Protection, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya since 2011 to date.
- Served as a member of Board of Study in Plant Protection, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya since 1997-2000.
- Served as a member of the Board of Management, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya (2011-2012).
- Serving as a member of the Board of Management, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya (2016-2018) for a period of three years.
- Served as the Representative of Faculty of Agriculture to the Senate, University of Peradeniya, 2009.
- Serving as a Programme coordinator for the MSc in Plant Protection Technology Programme, offered by Board of Study Plant Protection, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya. 2005-todate
- Serving as a member, Board of Study in Agricultural Biology, Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya in 2015-16.
- Hemachandra KS and MCD Perera (2016). Assessment of egg parasitoid guild of rice leaf folder, Cnaphlocrocis medinalis (Guenee): A search for biocontrol agents. Journal of National Science Foundation 44(2): 185-192.
- Hemachandra, KS., Polazek, A., Sirisena, UGAI., Singhamuni, SAA., and Perera, MCD (2015) Trichogrammatid egg parasitoids (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) of rice leaf folder and cabbage caterpillars in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Journal of Food and Agriculture 1(1): 1-8.
- Singhamuni, SAA, Jayasuriya, M., Hemachandra, KS., and Sirisena, UGAI (2015) Evaluation of the potential of Trichogramma chilonis ishii (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) as a bio-control agent for Trichoplusia ni, Cabbage Semi-looper Tropical Agricultural Research 26 (2): 223-236
- Hemachandra, K.S., Holliday, N.J., Mason, P.G., Soroka, J.J. & Kuhlmann, U. 2007. Comparative assessment of the parasitoid community of Delia radicum in the Canadian prairies and Europe: a search for classical biological control agents. Biological control. 43: 85
- Hemachandra, K.S., Kuhlmann, U., Mason, P.G., and Holliday, N.J. 2007. Spatial patterns of Trybliographa rapae parasitism of Delia radicum larvae in oilseed rape and cauliflower Journal of Applied Entomology 131 (5): 338
BOOK CHAPTERS, BOOKS & MONOGRAPHS
- Hemachandra K.S. (2020) A Cross Section of Century-Long Experiences in Entomological Research in Crop Sectors: Directions for Future Research. In: Marambe B., Weerahewa J., Dandeniya W. (eds) Agricultural Research for Sustainable Food Systems in Sri Lanka. Springer, Singapore. pp: 249-276. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-2152-2_11
- Hemachandra, KS., Nugaliyadde, L. 2007. Rice black bug, Scotinophara lurida (Burmeister) (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae), in Sri Lanka In. Rice black bugs: taxonomy, ecology, and management of invasive Species. Eds. Ravindra C. Joshi, Alberto T. Barrion and Leocadio S. Sebastian. Science City of Mu
- Hemachandra, KS (2015) Field guide for insect damages in major crops in Sri Lanka. HETC (QIG), ATM, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya. ISBN: 978-955-81730-2-2
- Sirisena, UGAI., GW Watson, KS Hemachandra, HNP Wijayagunasekara (2016) Diversity of soft scale insects (Hemiptera, Sternorrhyncha, Cocoidea) in Sri Lanka. In: Arthropod Diversity and Conservation in the Tropics and Sub-tropics (Akshay Kumar Chakravarthy and Shakunthala Sridhara (Eds). Springer, Singapoore. 285-296
- kZÉ j~v ìqYz@î m}l^k s^q#Qzn#w, @k#.es#. @h#mcn#·, (2017) s~/s kZS^kzöÉk hz pz÷s÷k ìq#vw[n#@g# sm]pkzr sÉw^y, 2/1/1, @qvn pt]mg, Qömz@Hz#k mzvw,
mhn]vr. ISBN 978-955-7453-00-2